Check out my version of the Yoga Plex, an AWESOME mobility exercise, inspired by Coach Nick Tumminello, CSCS.
This movement is best described as a "fast yoga sequence," and I have been using it a TON this summer for multiple activities:
- first thing in the AM with a cup of java to wake up the body (I really don't like to hold static stretches at all anymore)
- in my dynamic warm up sequence that I do before before EVERY workout
- as an accessory exercise in my strength workouts
- before I hop on my mountain bike
- before a trail run
- in my yoga classes
- when I need a breather at work, especially after working on the computer for a while
See? I don't make this stuff up! Me taking a break for mobility at work yesterday!
For additional thoracic spine mobility work, I would suggest adding in a downward dog to the sequence. I usually prefer to brace my core and remain in plank throughout the duration of the movement if I implement this in the strength portion of my training , but will throw a downward dog into the mix from time to time, particularly if using to warm up.
P.S. As I was writing this blog this afternoon, I was also baking birthday cupcakes with homemade icing! The best part? The homemade icing is:
- dairy free
- gluten free
- has 40 grams of protein <--- Yes, you read that correctly!
- little to no artificial sweeteners
The finished product looks like this! Check back next week as I release the recipe, as well as the taste reviews of a few adults and one VERY opinionated 5 year old! :)
Erin Kershaw, M.S., ACSM-EP
Fitness Director, The Edge Fitness Center at the Ascutney Mountain Resort